T214: Case Study 3 – peer-to-peer networking and the music industry
This case study involves looking at the effect that Napster had on the music industry. It seems ancient history now – it’s only ten years ago, but that’s a millennium in Internet terms – but the repercussions from Napster’s appearance are still relevant today. At least, that’s what I hope I will find from my research.
There are some questions I need to answer from this exercise. These are as follows:
- How did Napster get started?
- What motivated its founders?
- What resources were required to launch the service?
- What challenges did it pose to the existing order?
- What were the benefits of the system to its users?
- In what way was the arrival of Napster an important moment in the evolution of the internet, and why?
- What was its legacy?
How did Napster get started?
Well, I kind of ran out of time before doing much on this so there are no answers here. I kind of winged it, and no doubt my mark will reflect my half-arsed attempt at research.
I may come back to this at a later date (but I doubt it)…