I’ve had a few problems recently with Mandrake 10.1. I’d noticed that some sites were rediculously slow to load (like 200 baud or something) whereas others loaded just fine. This was a new installation of
I’ve had a few problems recently with Mandrake 10.1. I’d noticed that some sites were rediculously slow to load (like 200 baud or something) whereas others loaded just fine. This was a new installation of 10.1 which I’d installed the kernel source on, plus the nVidia driver and Cedega. Everything worked fine, apart from this internet issue.
I googled about and discovered a few other people with similar issues. I followed a few suggestions (disabled IPv6, editted /etc/hosts and sorted out DNS entries) without success. I deleted and recreated by net connection – still crap. All was fine in XP so I didn’t suspect any external equipment but I updated the firmware on my Netgear wireless ethernet bridge – still slow.
I then thought that maybe there was already a fix available so I did a general “update everything” command from urpmi:
This downloaded all evening just about. I then decided to update my kernel. The newest that came up was 18.104.22.168-20mdk – I was already on 22.214.171.124-10mdk. I updated anyway which killed my nVidia driver (as expected). Before installing anything else I thought I’d try the internet again (after a reboot). Internet usage was fine!
I tried to reinstall the nVidia driver last night but it didn’t work. I think I have to update the kernel source as well and I didn’t have time to do that before I went to bed. I’ll do that later and see how it is then.
Lot’s of fun trying to sort this out. Not as much fun as beer and titties but still….